THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN IBÂDAH AND TAWHÎD

Started by Subul’us Salâm, 14.04.2023, 00:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Subul’us Salâm

The Relationship Between Ibâdah and Tawhîd

Abû Bakr as-Siddîq (13H) Radiyallâhu Anh said,

"Tawhîd suffices as worship and paradise suffices as reward."1

Sahl bin Abdillâh at-Tustarî (283H) Rahimahullâh said,

"The foundation of worship is Tawhîd, alongside eating what is permissible and staying away from harming."2

Al-Baghawî (516H) Rahimahullâh said,

"It is said, "Except that they worship Me..." meaning except that they make Tawhîd of Me... As for the believer, he unifies Allâh in hardship and in ease, as for the disbeliever, he unifies Him during hardship and trials but not during blessings and ease. The following statement of Allâh Azza wa Jalla clarifies this, "So when they embark on a ship, they invoke Allâh, having their faith purely in Him." (al-Ankabût, 29/65)."3

Shams'ud Dîn al-Qurtubî (671H) Rahimahullâh said,

"Allâhu Taâlâ's statement, "Worship," is a command to worship Him. Here, worship consists of unifying Him and following the prescriptions of His religion."4

"The meaning here is: I have not created the Jinn and mankind except that they unify Me."5

"Also, it is narrated from al-Kalbî that he said: Except that they should unify Me... As for the believer, he unifies Allâh in hardship and in ease, as for the disbeliever, he unifies Him during hardship and trials but not during blessings and ease. The statement of Allâhu Taâlâ in the following verse clarifies this, "And when they are covered by waves like canopies, they pray to Allâh, having faith exclusively in Him." (Luqmân, 31/32)."6

Badr'ud Dîn al-Aynî (855H) Rahimahullâh said,

"Worship means Tawhîd, meaning: They were only commanded to unify Allâh... Meaning, they were only commanded because of worship, that is Tawhîd."7

Muhammad bin Abd'il Wahhâb (1206H) Rahimahullâh said,

"Allâhu Taâlâ stated,

"I have not created the jinn and human beings except that they worship Me." (adh-Dhâriyât 51/56)

Ibâdah (worship) is Tawhîd."8

"As Allâhu Taâlâ stated,

"I have not created the jinn and human beings except that they worship Me." (adh-Dhâriyât 51/56)

The meaning of "...they worship Me..." is, "They should make Tawhîd of (unify) Me..."9

1- ath-Tha'labî, at-Tafsîr, 4/213.

2- at-Tustarî, at-Tafsîr, p. 48.

3- al-Baghawî, at-Tafsîr, 7/381.

4- al-Qurtubî, at-Tafsîr, 1/225.

5- al-Qurtubî, at-Tafsîr, 17/55.

6- al-Qurtubî, at-Tafsîr, 17/56.

7- Badr'ud Dîn, Umdat'ul Qârî, 1/264.

8- The Beneficial, Important, And Precious Pamphlet.

9- The Three Foundations.
"If the ignorant persists, gets haughty, is determined upon his transgression and misguidance, chooses blindness over guidance, and if what he falls into and disputes with regards to is Shirk Akbar (major Shirk) that brings the person who commits it out of the fold of the faction of Muslims to the party of polytheists, then in this case, the just verdict is the sword!" (al-Fath'ur Rabbânî min Fatâwâ'l Imâm ash-Shawkânî, 1/185)

Subul’us Salâm

What was narrated from Ibnu Abbâs (68H) Radiyallâhu Anhumâ regarding this

"Ibnu Ishâq, Ibnu Jarîr, and Ibnu Abî Hâtim recorded from Ibnu Abbâs that he said regarding the statement of Allâhu Taâlâ, "Worship," "Unify your Lord."10

"There are two views regarding the meaning of worship mentioned here. One view is Tawhîd. The second is obedience. Both are narrated from Ibnu Abbâs."11

"Ibnu Abbâs Radiyallâhu Anhumâ stated: The meaning of all that is mentioned in the Qur'ân regarding worship is Tawhîd."12

"Ibnu Abbâs said, "Allâhu Taâlâ said, "O people, worship your Lord." This is regarding the two factions consisting of the disbelievers and hypocrites. Meaning: Unify your Lord Who created you and those before you!"13

"Once this is recognised, then Tawhîd'ul Ibâdah is devoting the previously described types of Ibâdah to Allâh Subhânahu. This itself is the Ibâdah which the Sharî'ah demands. One cannot stand without the other. That is why Ibnu Abbâs Radiyallâhu Anhumâ said, "The meaning of all that is mentioned in the Qur'an regarding Ibâdah is Tawhîd." This is the Tawhîd that the Rusul (pl. Rasûl, Messengers) called to and the Mushrikûn refused to accept. When Ibâdah is taken from its perspective, it is more general than it being absolute general Tawhîd, as every Muwahhid is an Âbid (the doer of Ibâdah) of Allâh, but not everyone who worships Allâh is a Muwahhid."14

10- as-Suyûtî, ad-Durr'ul Manthûr, 1/85.

11- Ibn'ul Jawzî, Zâd'ul Masîr, 1/42.

12- al-Baghawî, at-Tafsîr, Dâru Taybah, 1/71.

13- at-Tabarî, at-Tafsîr, Dâr'ut Tarbiyah wa't Turâth, 1/363.

14- ad-Durar'us Saniyyah, 2/291.
"If the ignorant persists, gets haughty, is determined upon his transgression and misguidance, chooses blindness over guidance, and if what he falls into and disputes with regards to is Shirk Akbar (major Shirk) that brings the person who commits it out of the fold of the faction of Muslims to the party of polytheists, then in this case, the just verdict is the sword!" (al-Fath'ur Rabbânî min Fatâwâ'l Imâm ash-Shawkânî, 1/185)

🡱 🡳