دار التوحيد Dr'ul Tawhd

Author Topic: O MUSLIM, SAY: الله اَعْلَمُ ALLAH KNOWS BEST! WHENEVER SOMETHING IS NOT CLEAR  (Read 720 times)

Uswat'un Hasanah

• Global Moderator
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
O Muslim, Say: الله اَعْلَمُ Allah knows best!.. Whenever Something is not Clear to You!

al-Imam al-Qadi al-Allama Ali ibn Ali ibn Muhammad ibn Abi'l Izz ad-Dimashqi al-Hanafi (731-792H)
Muhazzabu Sharh'il Aqidat'it Tahawiyyah

وَ نَقُولُ: الله اَعْلَمُ فِيمَا اشْتَبَهَ عَلَيْنَا عِلْمُهُ

When our knowledge about something is unclear, we say: "Allahu A'lam (Allah knows best)!.."

The author (i.e., Imam Tahawi) stated earlier that: No one secures his religion unless he submits to Allah and His Messenger, and leaves the knowledge of a thing not clear to him to one who knows it.1

When one speaks on a matter without knowledge, one is simply pursuing ones fancies or desires.
Allah has warned:

وَمَنْ أَضَلُّ مِمَّنِ اتَّبَعَ هَوَاهُ بِغَيْرِ هُدًى مِّنَ اللَّهِ

Who is more astray than one who follows his own fancies, devoid of guidance from Allah? (al-Qasas 28/50)

He has also said:

وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَيَتَّبِعُ كُلَّ شَيْطَانٍ مَّرِيدٍ كُتِبَ عَلَيْهِ أَنَّهُ مَن تَوَلَّاهُ فَأَنَّهُ يُضِلُّهُ وَيَهْدِيهِ إِلَى عَذَابِ السَّعِيرِ

And yet among men there are such as dispute about Allah, without knowledge and follow every satanic one obstinate in rebellion. About the Evil One it is decreed that whoever turns to him for friendship, he will lead him astray, and guide him to the penalty of Fire. (al-Hajj 22/3-4);

الَّذِينَ يُجَادِلُونَ فِي آيَاتِ اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ سُلْطَانٍ أَتَاهُمْ كَبُرَ مَقْتاً عِندَ اللَّهِ وَعِندَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كَذَلِكَ يَطْبَعُ اللَّهُ عَلَى كُلِّ قَلْبِ مُتَكَبِّرٍ جَبَّارٍ

Such as dispute about the sings of Allah without any authority that has reached them, grievous and odious I such conduct in the sight of Allah and the Believers. Thus does Allah seal up the heart of every arrogant and obstinate transgressor. (Mumin/Ghafir 40/35);

قُلْ إِنَّمَا حَرَّمَ رَبِّيَ الْفَوَاحِشَ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَمَا بَطَنَ وَالْإِثْمَ وَالْبَغْيَ بِغَيْرِ الْحَقِّ وَأَن تُشْرِكُوا بِاللَّهِ مَا لَمْ يُنَزِّلْ بِهِ سُلْطَانًا وَأَن تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ

Say: The things that my Lord has indeed forbidden are shameful deeds, whether open or secret; sins and trespasses against truth; assigning of partners to Allah, for which he has given no authority; and saying things about Allah of which you have no knowledge. (al-Araf 7/33)

He has commanded His Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) to leave the knowledge of things to Allah which he does not know:

قُلِ اللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا لَبِثُوا لَهُ غَيْبُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ

Say: Allah knows best how long they stayed. With him is the knowledge of the secrets of the havens and the earth. (al-Kahf 18/26);

قُل رَّبِّي أَعْلَمُ بِعِدَّتِهِم مَّا يَعْلَمُهُمْ

Say: My Lord knows best their number. (al-Kahf 18/22)

When the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) was asked about the children of Mushrikin (i.e., those who assign partners to Allah), he (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said:

اللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا كَانُوا عَامِلِينَ

Allah knows best what they have been doing. (Bukhari, #1384, #1387, #6597, #6599, #6600; Muslim, #2639; #2660; Abu Dawud, #4711; Nasai, #2/58-59; Ahmad, Musnad, 2/266, 393, 471, 518)

Umar (radiyallahu anh) said:

In matters of religion do not rely upon your reason. Had I relied upon my reason on the day of Abu Jandal (radiyallahu anh) was presented (in chains) I would have opposed the command of the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam). I pondered the matter. The agreement was to be written. The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: Write In the name of Allah, the Beneficient, the Merciful. The Makkans insisted that it should begin simply with: In the name of Allah. The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) agreed, and the agreement was completed, but I refused to accept it. The Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: Umar, you see that I have accepted, even so you refuse!.. (Tabarani, al-Mujamul Kabir, #82; Ibn Hazm, al-Ihkam fi Usoulil Ahkam, 6/46)

On another occasion, Umar (radiyallahu anh) said:

The Sunnah is what Allah and His Messenger have ordained. Do not make your wrong ideas Sunnah for the Ummah (nation)!.. (Ibn Abdul Barr, Jami Bayanil Ilm, 2/136; Ibn Hazm, al-Ihkam fi Usoulil Ahkam, 6/51)

Abu Bakr (radiyallahu anh) stated:

What earth will hold me and what heaven will protect me if I speak about an Ayah of Allahs Book when I have no knowledge of it, simply on the basis of my opinion!.. (Ibn Abi Shaybah, 6/136; ibn Jarir at-Tabari, Tafsir, 1/78-79; Ibn Kathir, Tafsir, 4/473)

Hassan ibnul Hulwani has reported from Arim from Hammad ibn Zayd from Said ibn Abi Sadaqah that Ibn Sirin said:

No one was more diffident in speaking about what he did not know than Abu Bakr (radiyallahu anh) and after him no one was more diffident than Umar (radiyallahu anh). When Abu Bakr (radiyallahu anh) faced a problem and could not find anything in the Quran and the Sunnah that bore upon it, then and only then would he say something in the light of his reason, and that too, with this reservation: This is my view: If it is right it is from Allah; but if it is wrong, it is from me, and I pray to Allah to forgive me!..

1- Imam Tahawi (rahimahullah) said:

ولا يثبت قدم الإسلام إلا على ظهر التسليم والاستسلام ، فمن رام عِلْمَ ما حُظِر عنه علمه ، ولم يقنع بالتسليم فهمه ، حجبه مرامه عن خالص التوحيد ، وصافي المعرفة ، وصحيح الإيمان ، فيتذبذب بين الكفر والإيمان ، والتصديق والتكذيب ، والإقرار والإنكار ، موسوسا تائها ، زائغا شاكا ، لا مؤمنا مصدقا ، ولا جاحدا مكذبا

A man's Islam is not secure unless it is based on submission and surrender. Anyone who desires to know things which it is beyond his capacity to know, and whose intellect is not content with surrender, will find that his desire veils him from a pure understanding of Allah's true unity, clear knowledge and correct belief. And that he veers between disbelief and belief, confirmation and denial and acceptance and rejection. He will be subject to whisperings and find himself confused and full of doubt, being neither an accepting believer nor a denying Kafir.
Shaykh'ul Islm Ibnu Taymiyyah Rahimahullh said,

وكل قول ينفرد به المتأخر عن المتقدمين، ولم يسبقه إليه أحد منهم، فإنه يكون خطأ كما قال الإمام أحمد بن حنبل‏‏

"All statements that had been said by the Muta'akhirrn (latter ones) differing from the Mutaqaddimn (predecessors) and that had not been previously mentioned by any other, is a mistake. As Imm Ahmad bin Hanbal Rahimahullh said,

‏إياك أن تتكلم في مسألة ليس لك فيها إمام‏

"Refrain from speaking about a matter without an Imm!.." (Ibnu Taymiyyah, Majm'ul Fatw, 21/291)