دار التوحيد Dr'ul Tawhd

Author Topic: (ADVICE REGARDING) ABANDONING AMR BI'L MA'RUF IN ORDER TO PLEASE THE PEOPLE  (Read 616 times)

Fahm'us Salaf

• Administrator
  • انصار الملة الحنيفية حماة الشرعة المحمدي
ترك الأمر بالمعروف إرضاء للناس
(Advice Regarding) Abandoning Amr bil Maruf (Enjoining Good) In order to Please the People

Hamad ibn Atiq an-Najdi, ad-Durarus Saniyyah; 8/74-79

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim,

From Hamad ibn Atiq to whomever it reaches among the Muslimin. May Allah fasten them upon the Din of Shariah and keep them away from the path of the Kuffar and the Munafiqin. Amin!..

Salamun Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you). Wa Bad (to proceed):

The reason for this writing is the sincere advice to you all and the forgiveness from Allah in conveyance to you, for Allah Taala commands:

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَكْتُمُونَ مَا أَنْزَلْنَا مِنَ الْبَيِّنَاتِ وَالْهُدَى مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا بَيَّنَّاهُ لِلنَّاسِ فِي الْكِتَابِ أُولَئِكَ يَلْعَنُهُمُ اللَّهُ وَيَلْعَنُهُمُ اللَّاعِنُونَ
"Those who conceal the clear (Signs) We have sent down, and the guidance, after We have made it clear for the People in the Book; on them shall be Allah's curse, and the curse of those entitled to curse." (al-Baqarah 2/159)

And His Taalas statement:

لُعِنَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مِنْ بَنِي إِسْرائيلَ عَلَى لِسَانِ دَاوُدَ وَعِيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ ذَلِكَ بِمَا عَصَوْا وَكَانُوا يَعْتَدُونَ كَانُوا لا يَتَنَاهَوْنَ عَنْ مُنْكَرٍ فَعَلُوهُ لَبِئْسَ مَا كَانُوا يَفْعَلُونَ
"Curses were pronounced on those among the Children of Israil who rejected Faith, by the tongue of Dawud and of Isa the son of Maryam: because they disobeyed and persisted in excesses. Nor did they forbid one another the iniquities which they committed: evil indeed were the deeds which they did." (al-Maidah 5/78-79)

As you already heard what was recited to you from befalling of the punishments, upon appearance of the Munkarat (evil) however the Shaytan already opened the doors of Sharr (evil) among most of the people, to drop (the duty of) Amr bil Maruf wa Nahyi anil Munkar (enjoining the good and forbidding the evil) and cause doubts regarding Din among the people until it became an excuse with regards to their Itiqad (creed). Surely it is from the toils of the Shaytan however when it is evident that the fornicator and the thief and the drinker of Khamr (alcoholic beverages) are better with Allah than these types, this is sufficient in repulsiveness of their Madhhab and their bad return. We ask from Allah; Afw (forgiveness) and Afiyah (wellness).

And it should be known that Aql (intellect) is of three types:

Natural Aql;

Iman (faith) based Aql obtained from Nubuwwah (the Prophetic) light and

Nifaaqi (hypocritical), Shaytani (Satanic) Aql.

And its possessors (of this last type) think they are something special, and this type of intellect is found among many people, most of them in fact. It is the essence of ruin and the fruit of Nifaaq (hypocrisy), as its possessors think that intellect is to please everyone and to not go against their interests and Shahawaat (desires), as well as to gain their friendship. They say: The best thing for you is to be part of the people and don't cause them to hate you.

This is Ifsaad (the corruption and ruin) of Nafs (i.e., the soul), and this is due to four things:

The first of them is that the one who does this has gained the pleasure of people by angering Allah, and the people are more important in his eyes than Allah. Whoever gains the pleasure of the people by angering Allah will end up with the anger of both the people and Allah. And it came (as a narration) that Allah Taala states:

إذا غضبت لعنت، ولعنتي تبلغ السابع من الولد
"When I am angered, My Lanah (curse) reaches the seventh generation of descendants."

So, if the one who is able to enjoin the good and prevent the evil abandons doing so, he will bring about Allah's Lanah that will reach the seventh generation of his progeny, and this is proven by the statement of His Taala:

لُعِنَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مِنْ بَنِي إِسْرائيلَ عَلَى لِسَانِ دَاوُدَ وَعِيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ ذَلِكَ بِمَا عَصَوْا وَكَانُوا يَعْتَدُونَ
"The disbelievers from the Children of Isra'il were cursed by the tongue of Dawud and Isa ibn Maryam. This is because they were rebellious and would transgress..." (al-Ma'idah 5/78)

So, it is Dhahir (clear) that this adulator has ruined himself through what he thought would help him.

The second (of them) is inevitably that Allah will open a door of az Zillah (humiliation) and disgrace for the adulator from where he sought honor. And some of the Salaf said:

من ترك الأمر بالمعروف، والنهي عن المنكر، مخافة المخلوقين، نزعت منه الطاعة

"Whoever leaves off Amr bil Maruf wa Nahyi anil Munkar out of his fear of people, the respect and obedience people had for him will be removed."

So, if he orders his son or servant to do something for him, they will belittle his status. Just like he belittled the rights of Allah, Allah will belittle and humiliate him:

نَسُوا اللَّهَ فَنَسِيَهُمْ
"...they forgot Allah. So, He forgot them..." (at-Tawbah 9/67)

The third (of them is), when the punishments are sent down, the adulator will be one of its targets, as it is in the statement of (Allah) Taala:

وَاتَّقُوا فِتْنَةً لا تُصِيبَنَّ الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا مِنْكُمْ خَاصَّةً
"And beware of a trial that won't only afflict the wrongdoers among you..." (al-Anfal 8/25)

It was narrated from Abi Ubaydah from Abdullah Ibn Masud which was recorded in Musnad and Sunnan that (Rasulullah) sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said:

"إن من كان قبلكم إذا عمل العامل بالخطيئة، جاءه الناهي تعذيراً إليه، فإذا كان الغد جالسه، وواكله وشاربه، كأنه لم يره على خطيئة بالأمس. فلما رأى الله ذلك منهم، ضرب بقلوب بعضهم على بعض، ثم لعنهم: عَلَى لِسَانِ دَاوُدَ وَعِيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ ذَلِكَ بِمَا عَصَوْا وَكَانُوا يَعْتَدُونَ. والذي نفس محمد بيده، لتأمرنّ بالمعروف، ولتنهونّ عن المنكر، ولتأخذنّ على يد السفيه، ولتأطرنّه على الحق أطراً، أو ليضربنّ الله بقلوب بعضكم على بعض، ثم ليلعنكم كما لعنهم"
"Amongst peoples gone by, when somebody committed a sin, the other would forbid and reprimand him. But on the following day would mix, eat and drink with him as if he had never seen him committing the sin. Therefore Allah Taala confounded the hearts of some with those of some:

عَلَى لِسَانِ دَاوُدَ وَعِيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ ذَلِكَ بِمَا عَصَوْا وَكَانُوا يَعْتَدُونَ
"And cursed them (i.e., Children of Israil) by the tongue of Dawud and of Isa ibn Maryam; because they disobeyed and persisted in excesses." (al-Maidah 5/78)

By the One Who has control over Muhammads soul (i.e, Allah): Whether you must commit Amr bil Maruf wa Nahyi anil Munkar and force Safih (foolish) into the path of rectitude; or else Allah will confound your hearts with those of others and you will be cursed, as were some of the peoples gone by had been cursed.."
(Tirmidhi, Hadith no: 3047-3048; Abu Dawud,  Hadith no: 4336-4337; Ibn Maajah, Hadith no: 4006; Ahmad, Musnad, 5/192)

Ibn Abid Dunya reported from Wahb bin Munabbih that he said:

لما أصاب داود الخطيئة، قال: يا رب اغفر لي، قال: قد غفرتها لك، وألزمت عارها بني إسرائيل، قال: لِم يا رب؟ كيف - وأنت الحكم العدل لا تظلم أحداً - أنا أعمل الخطيئة، وتلزم عارها غيري؟! فأوحى الله إليه: أنك لما عملت لم يعيبوا عليك بالإنكار

"When Dawud (alayhi salam) made a mistake, he said: My Lord, Forgive me! So, Allah Said: I have forgiven you and placed your sin on Bani Israil (the Children of Isra'il). Dawud (alayhi salam) asked: Why, O Lord? How can this be when You are al-Adl (the Just) who oppresses no one? I fall into error and You place the sin on others? Upon this Allah revealed to him: When you did this error, they didn't criticize you with warning."

Ibn Abid Dunya (also) mentioned that:

أن الله أوحى إلى يوشع بن نون، إني مهلك من قومك أربعين ألفاً من خيارهم، وستين ألفاً من شرارهم، قال: يا رب، هؤلاء الأشرار، فما بال الأخيار؟ قال: إنهم لم يغضبوا لغضبي، وكانوا يواكلونهم ويشاربونهم

"Allah revealed to Yusha ibn Nun (alayhi salam): I will destroy fortythousand of the best of your people and sixtythousand of their worst. He asked: My Lord, these are the worst, what about the best of them? He Said: They didn't become angry for My Anger, and they would give the worst ones food and drink."

Ibn Abdil Barr and others mentioned that:

أن الله تعالى أمر ملكاً من الملائكة أن يخسف بقرية، فقال: يا رب، إن فيهم فلاناً الزاهد العابد، قال: به فابدأ، وأسمعني صوته، إنه لم يتمعر وجهه فيّ يوماً قط

"Verily Allah Taala commanded one of the Malak (angel) amongst Malaikah (pl, Malak; the angels) to destroy a town. So, he asked: My Lord, it has such and such a person who is the Zahid (ascetic) the Abid (who worships constantly)! Allah said: Begin with him, and let Me hear his voice. His face never once became red for My sake."

So, salvation when the punishments descend is with those who do Amr bil Maruf wa Nahyi anil Munkar, as (Allah) Taala said:

فَلَمَّا نَسُوا مَا ذُكِّرُوا بِهِ أَنْجَيْنَا الَّذِينَ يَنْهَوْنَ عَنِ السُّوءِ
"So, when they forgot what they were reminded of, We saved those who would forbid what was bad..." (al-A'raf 7/165)

The Fourth (of them is), the adulator who seeks the pleasure of creation is worse than Zani (the adulterer), the thief, and the drinker of alcohol.

Ibnul Qayyim (rahimahullahi Taala) said:

وليس الدين بمجرد ترك المحرمات الظاهرة، بل بالقيام مع ذلك بالأمور المحبوبة لله، وأكثر الدينين لا يعبؤون منها، إلا بما شاركهم فيه عموم الناس، وأما الجهاد، والأمر بالمعروف والنهي عن المنكر، والنصيحة لله ورسوله وعباده، ونصرة الله ورسوله وكتابه ودينه، فهذه الواجبات، لا يخطرن ببالهم، فضلاً عن أن يريدوا فعلها، فضلاً عن أن يفعلوها. وأقل الناس ديناً، وأمقتهم إلى الله، من ترك هذه الواجبات،وإن زهد في الدنيا جميعها. وقل أن يرى منهم من يحمر وجهه، ويتمعر في الله، ويغضب لحرماته، ويبذل عرضه في نصرة دينه؛ وأصحاب الكبائر أحسن حالاً عند الله من هؤلاء

"The Religion is not just leaving off outer Muharamaat (prohibitions). Rather, it is to fulfill what Allah loves along with this. Most religious people today don't do this except when it comes to things that the majority of people accept and agree with them in. As for Jihaad, Amr bil Maruf Nahyi anil Munkar (enjoining good and preventing evil), the sincere advice to Allah and His Rasul (Messenger) and His worshipers, helping Allah and His Rasul and His Kitaab (Book i.e., Quran) and His Din (Religion i.e., Islam) - these are the Waajibaat (obligations) that don't even occur to them, let alone evoke a desire on their part to carry them out, let alone be carried them out by them! The lowest of people in Din and the worst of them with Allah are those who abandon these obligations, even if he practices Zuhd (ascetic) from everything in Dunya (this world). It is rare to find from them one whose face becomes red for the sake of Allah, and who becomes angry due to His limits being violated, and who gives all he has to help his religion. Those who fall into Ka'bahir (major sins) are better with Allah than these people." Quotation (from Ibnul Qayyim) ends here.

So, if a man fasts all day, prays all night, abstains from all worldly pleasures, and despite this never becomes angry or has his face reddened for Allah's sake and doesn't enjoin good and prevent evil; this man is the most hated of the people to Allah and the least of them in religiousness, and Ashabul Ka'bahir (the People of Major Sins) are better with Allah than him.

And a trustworthy (i.e., not discredited) person told me that Shaykhul Islam (Muhammad ibn Abdil Wahhab), Imam (the leader) of the Najd Da'wah (call), once said:

أرى ناساً يجلسون في المسجد على مصاحفهم، يقرؤون ويبكون، فإذا رأوا المعروف لم يأمروا به، وإذا رأوا المنكر لم ينهوا عنه، وأرى أناساً يعكفون عندهم، يقولون: هؤلاء لحى غوانم، وأنا أقول: إنهم لحى فوائن، فقال السامع: أنا لا أقدر أقول إنهم لحى فوائن، فقال الشيخ: أنا أقول: إنهم من العمي البكم

"I saw some people sitting in the Masjid (place of prayer) with their Musahaf (i.e., Qur'an), reciting and weeping. However, they didn't enjoin the good if they saw it and they didn't prevent evil if they saw it. I saw people busily engaged near them saying: These are the source of benefit. I said: These are the source of disgrace. The one who heard me said: I can't say they are a source of disgrace! So, the Shakyh replied to him: I say they are among the blind and the mute."

And this is supported by what came from some of the Salaf said:

أن الساكت عن الحق شيطان أخرس، والمتكلم بالباطل شيطان ناطق

"The one who is silent about al-Haqq (the truth) is a mute Shaytan, while the one who speaks Baatil (falsehood) is a speaking Shaytan."

So, even if the silent adulator knows that he is from the most hated of the created to Allah, though he sees it good, he shall talk and openly proclaim. Even if the one who seeks the pleasure of the created knows by abandoning the reprehension of them, Ashabul Ka'bahir (the People of Major Sins) are better with Allah than him, and he assumes himself to be religious he shall repent from his adulation and retreat from it. And if you verify the one withholding his tongue from the open proclamation, with the command of Allah he is a mute Shaytan, though he fasts, prays, and is a Zahid, considering that to procure resemblance to the Shaytan is by means of bringing near the desire.

O Allah, I seek refuge with You from every action that angers ar-Rahman (the Merciful), and from every trait that brings us closer to the resemblance of the Shaytan or adulation on our religion with Ahlush Shubuhaat (the People of Doubts), the Nifaaq (hypocrisy), and the Kufr (disbelief).

And may peace and blessings be on (our Prophet) Muhammad, his Ahl (household), and Sahabah (Companions).
Whosoever desires الْعِزَّةَ al-Izzah (honour, power and glory) then to Allah belong all الْعِزَّةَ al-Izzah [and one can get honour, power and glory only by obeying and worshiping Allah (Alone)]. To Him ascend (all) الْكَلِمُ الطَّيِّبُ al-Kalim al-Tayyib (the goodly words), and الْعَمَلُ الصَّالِحُ al-Amal al-Saalih (the righteous deeds) exalt it (the goodly words i.e., the goodly words are not accepted by Allah unless and until they are followed by good deeds). (Fatir 35/10)