دار التوحيد Dâr'ul Tawhîd

Author Topic: TAKFIR OF THE ONE WHO IS IGNORANT OF THE MEANING OF THE KALIMAH  (Read 868 times)

Julaybib

• Administrator
  • O Lord truly I'm in need of any good that You send
بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ
Takfir of the one who is Ignorant of the Meaning of the Kalimah

Shaykh'ul Islam Muhammad bin Abd'il Wahhab (rahimahullah)

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim,

These statements are regarding the explanation of the Shahadah (witnessing) La-ilaha Illallah (there is no –true- God –deserves to be worshiped- but Allah) and the explanation of Tawhid which is the right of Allah over His slave. It is more Fardh (obligatory upon the slave) than Salaat (daily prayers), Zakaat (obligatory charity), Sawm Ramadhan (fasting during the month of Ramadhan) being Fardh. May Allah have mercy upon the one who advices his own Nafs (self) and knows that there is Jannah (Paradise) and Naar (fire; Hell-fire) after it. Surely, Allah Azza wa Jalla made Amaal (pl, Amal; deeds) for each of them (i.e., Jannah and Jahannam). If one asks regarding it then he will find at the top of Amaal of Ahl’ul Jannah (the People of Paradise) is Tawhid (Oneness) of Allah Ta’ala. Whoever comes with it on Yawm’ul Qiyamah (the Doomsday) then he is certainly among Ahl’ul Jannah even if he has sins in the fashion of mountains.

At the top of Amaal of Ahl’un Naar (the People of Hell-fire) is Shirk (associating partners) to Allah. Whoever died in this state (i.e. Shirk) even if he comes on Yawm’ul Qiyamah with Ibadaah (worship) to Allah night and day, Sadaqah (charity), and Ihsan (beneficence) he is certainly among Ahl’un Naar. Like the Nasara (Christians) and they build hermitage in the wild for one of them (i.e. monk) and become Zahid (person who shuns the world and its pleasures to devote himself to worship and pious works i.e., ascetic) in Dunya (worldly life), they worship night and day. However, they involve Shirk to Allah in it (their ascetic life style). Allah is Ta’ala (exalted, most glorified) from it. Allah Azza wa Jalla states:

وقدمنا إلى ما عملوا من عمل فجعلناه هباءً منثوراً
“We shall make such deeds as floating dust scattered about.” (al-Furqan 25/23)

Allah Ta’ala states:

مثل الذين كفروا بربهم أعمالهم كرماد اشتدت به الريح في يوم عاصف لا يقدرون مما كسبوا على شيء
“The parable of those who reject their Lord is that their works are as ashes, on which the wind blows furiously on a tempestuous day.” (Ibrahim 14/18)

May Allah Ta'ala have mercy upon the one whom advices his Nafs regarding this great matter that the Dhalim (wrongdoer) will bite at his hands and he will say:

يا ليتني اتخذت مع الرسول سبيلا
“Oh! Would that I had taken a (straight) path with the Messenger (of Allah)?!” (al-Furqan 25/27)

We ask Allah to guide us and our Muslim brothers to the Sirat’ul Mustaqim (Straight Path) which is the path that Allah bestowed Ni’mah (grace) upon them and (we ask Allah) to keep us distant from the path of those whom earn the wrath and they are the Ulama (pl., Alim; scholars) who do not perform accordingly even though they know and (we also ask Allah to keep us distant from) the path of those who go astray and they are the Juhal (pl., Jahil; ignorant) who worship a lot.

What a great Du'a (supplication) this is. How needy is the one who supplicates with it in every Ra’kah (units of prayer) being his heart in between the hands of Allah (Ta’ala) for being guided and salvation? Surely Allah (Ta’ala) mentioned that He will respond to this Du'a in (Surat’ul) Fatiha from a person who directs it with an open heart.

We say; La-ilaha Illallah is: Urwat'ul Wusqa (the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks), it is Kalimat'ut Taqwa (word of piety), it is Hanifiyyah (by nature uprightness with inclination to truth, pure worship and monotheism) which is Millah (Din) of Ibrahim (alayhi salam),  it is a Kalimah (statement) that Allah Azza wa Jalla made a word lasting (after Ibrahim alayhi salam), it is (the reason) that all the creation was created for,  with it the earth and the heavens were established, messengers had sent for it and the (holy) books had been sent down for it. Allah Ta’ala stated:

وما خلقت الجن والإنس إلا ليعبدون
“I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me.” (adh-Dhariyat 51/56)

Allah Ta’ala states:

ولقد بعثنا في كل أمة رسولاً أن اعبدوا الله واجتنبوا الطاغوت
“For We assuredly sent amongst every People a Messengers, (with the Command): Serve Allah, and eschew Taghout.” (an-Nahl 16/36)

The intent is the meaning of this Kalimah (statement i.e. La-Ilaha Illalah). For utterance by the tongue while being ignorant of its meaning; then there is no benefit of it. Munafiqun (pl, Munafiq; hypocrites) utter it to us and they are under the Kuffar (pl. Kafir; infidels) with a degree that is lower in the Naar (fire, Hell-fire).

Know that; the meaning of this Kalimah is negating Ilahiyyah (Lordship) from all other than Allah Tarabaraka wa Ta’ala and confirming Ilahiyyah for Allah, the One and Who has no partner, Whom has no Haqq (truth i.e. deity) other than Him. Also confirming all of it to Allah, the One and Who has no partner, Whom has no Haqq other than Him and none other than Him has a right over it neither a Muqarrab Malak (an angel brought near) nor a Nabi (a Prophet) that has been sent. As Allah Ta’ala states:

إن كل من في السموات والأرض إلا آت الرحمن عبداً، لقد أحصاهم وعدهم عدا، وكلهم آتيه يوم القيامة فرداً
“Not one of the beings in the heavens and the earth but must come to ar-Rahman (the Most Gracious) as a servant. He does take an account of them (all), and hath numbered them (all) exactly. And everyone of them will come to Him singly on Qiyamah (the Day of Judgment).” (Maryam 19/93-95)

Allah Ta’ala states:

يوم يقوم الروح والملائكة صفاً لا يتكلمون إلا من أذن له الرحمن وقال صواباً
“The Day that Ruh (the Spirit i.e. Jibril) and the angels will stand forth in ranks, none shall speak except any who is permitted by ar-Rahman (the Most Gracious), and he will say what is right.” (an-Naba 78/38)

Allah Ta’ala states:

يوم تأتي كل نفس تجادل عن نفسها
“On the Day every soul will come up pleading for itself.” (an-Nahl 16/111)

If it is said that there is no Khaliq (creator) other than Allah then it is Ma’ruf (known) and there is no Khaliq that creates other than Allah. Allah has no partner on creating neither a Muqarrab Malak nor a Nabi that has been sent.

If it is said that there is no sustainer but Allah then the response is also the same (it is Ma’ruf and there is no other sustainer that sustains but Allah).

If it is said La-ilaha Illallah (There is no –true- god –that deserves to be worshipped- but Allah) then the response is also the same. So ponder upon this, may Allah have mercy upon you. As you question the meaning of al-Khaliq (the creator) and ar-Razzaq (the sustainer) question the meaning of al-Ilah (the deity).

Know that, the meaning of Ilah is, Ma’bud (one who is worshipped). This is the Tafsir (explanation) of this Lafdh (statement i.e., La-ilaha Illallah) by the Ijmaa (consensus) of Ahl’ul Ilm (the People of Sacred-Knowledge). Whoever worships anything therefore s/he had taken it as Ilah (deity) other than Allah (Ta’ala). All of them are Baatil (invalid) other than The One Ilah Who is Allah and He is Tabaraka wa Ta’ala (Blessed and Exalted), Uluww (Above), Kabir (Great).

Ibadaah (worship) has many types however I will illustrate them with Dhahir (apparent) types so that it can not be rejected. Among them is Sujud (pl., Sajdah; prostrations); it is not Ja’iz (permissible) for a slave to put his face on to the earth (prostrate) neither to a Muqarrab Malak nor to a Nabi that has been sent or a Wali (friend of Allah) other than Allah the One and has no partner.

Among them is Thabh (sacrifice); it is not Ja’iz for anyone to sacrifice to other than Allah the One, as Allah (Ta’ala) related them in the Qur’an in His Ta’ala’s statement:

قل إن صلاتي ونسكي ومحياي ومماتي لله رب العالمين، لا شريك له
“Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds: No partner hath He.” (al-An’am 6/162-163)

Nusuk (that was mentioned in the above-mentioned Ayah) is sacrificing (for the sake of Allah). Allah (Ta’ala) states:

فصلِ لربك وانحر
“Therefore to thy Lord turn in Prayer and Sacrifice.” (al-Kawhtar, 108/2)

Know that whoever sacrifices to other than Allah; for a Jinn or a grave is as if he performed Sajdah (to it). Since Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) put La’nah (curse) on him in the Sahih Hadith:

لعن الله من ذبح لغير الله
“Allah cursed him who sacrificed for anyone besides Allah.” (Muslim, Hadith no: 1978; Nasa'i, Hadith no: 4422)

Among the types of Ibadaah is Du'a (supplication). As in the performance of the Mu’minun (pl., Mu’min; believers) they supplicate to Allah The One, during the night and day while both in the state of harshness and ease. None would have doubt regarding Du'a being a type of Ibadaah. So -may Allah have mercy upon you- ponder upon what occurs among the people of today whom supplicate to other than Allah (Ta’ala) both in the state of harshness and ease. (As in the cases:) When he wants to for Safar (travel), he would go to a grave or (places) other than the grave and enter its presence with whatever he took and brought with him which he unjustly took from others (for the person inside the grave and commits Shirk by directing his Du'a to the person in the grave, deeming his Du'a would be accepted by Allah). If any harshness fell upon one while both in the state of harshness and ease whether on the land or sea; he would perform Istighatha (seek aid) from Abd’ul Qadir or Shamsan or a Nabi amongst the Anbiya, a Wali amongst the Awliya to save from such harshness.

Then it will be said to this Jahil (ignorant): If you know that Ilah means Ma’bud and Du'a means Ibadaah how come you direct your Du'a to a Makhluq (creation) who is dead and incapable? Moreover, how do you abandon the One (i.e., Allah) who is al-Hayy (The Ever Living) al-Qayyum (The Self-Existing), al-Hadhir (The Omnipresent), ar-Rauf (The Compassionate), ar-Rahim (the Merciful) and al-Qadir (The All Powerful)? This Mushrik may say that: Everything is in the hand of Allah however this Saalih (righteous) slave is providing Shafa’ah (intercession) for us in the presence of Allah, his Shafa’ah and his relevance benefits. He may deem that it prevents him from Shirk!

And also it will be said this Jahil: the Mushrikin; those who worship idols to whom Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) faught with, taken their wealth, their children and women as Ghanimah (spoilt of war) all believed that Allah is Who benefits and harms and Allah is Who governs all of the affairs. They were intending –as you do- from them Shafa’ah in the presence of Allah. As (Allah) Ta’ala states:

ويعبدون من دون الله ما لا يضرهم ولا ينفعهم ويقولون هؤلاء شفعاؤنا عند الله
"They serve, besides Allah, things that can hurt them not nor profit them, and they say: These are our intercessors with Allah." (Yunus 10/18)

(Allah) Ta’ala states:

والذين اتخذوا من دونه أولياء ما نعبدهم إلا ليقربونا إلى الله زلفى
"But those who take for protectors other than Allah (say): We only serve them in order that they may bring us nearer to Allah." (az-Zumar 39/3)

So they confess that Allah is the One Who is al-Khaliq (The Creator), ar-Razzaq (The Sustainer), benefits and harms as Allah (Ta’ala) informed regarding them in His statement:

قل من يرزقكم من السماء والأرض أمن يملك السمع والأبصار ومن يخرج الحي من الميت ويخرج الميت من الحي ومن يدير الأمر فسيقولون الله فقل أفلا تتقون
"Say: Who is it that sustains you (in life) from the sky and from the earth? or who is it that has power over hearing and sight? And who is it that brings out the living from the dead and the dead from the living? and who is it that rules and regulates all affairs? They will soon say: Allah. Say: Will ye not then show piety (to Him)?" (Yunus 10/31)

So let ponder upon the one who; has Aql (reasoning), advices his Nafs and knows that there is Jannat (Paradise) and Naar (Hell-fire) after death and also in this matter knows the Shirk (associating partners) to Allah in which Allah (Ta’ala) stated the following regarding it (i.e. Shirk):

إن الله لايغفر أن يشرك به ويغفر ما دون ذلك لمن يشاء
“Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth.” (an-Nisa 4/48; an-Nisa 4/116)

Allah (Ta’ala) states:

إنه من يشرك بالله فقد حرم الله عليه الجنة ومأواه النار
“Whoever joins other gods with Allah, Allah will forbid him the Garden, and the Fire will be his abode.” (al-Ma’idah 5/72)

Is there any Bayaan (statement) after this Bayaan? Allah Azza wa Jalla narrated that the Kuffar (pl., Kafir; infidels) confirm that Allah is al-Khaliq, ar-Razzaq, al-Muhyi (giver of the life) and al-Mumiyt (giver of the death), al-Mudabbir of the affairs and also that they intend with those who they believe in closeness (to Allah) and Shafa’ah in the presence of Allah (Ta’ala).

Other Ayah (verse of the Qur’an) in the Qur’an that Allah (Ta’ala) mentions in them regarding this as the statement of Allah (Ta’ala):

قل لمن الأرض ومن فيها إن كنتم تعلمون، سيقولون لله
"Say: To whom belong the earth and all beings therein? (Say) if ye know! They will say: To Allah." (al-Mu’minun 23/84)

Up to His Ta’ala’s statement:

فأنى تسحرون
"Then how are ye deluded?" (al-Mu’minun 23/89)2

As the statement of Allah Ta’ala:

ولئن سألتهم من خلق السموات والأرض وسخر الشمس والقمر ليقولن الله
"If indeed thou ask them who has created the heavens and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon (to His Law), they will certainly reply: Allah." (al-Ankabut 29/61);

ولئن سألتهم من نزل من السماء ماء ً فأحيا به الأرض من بعد موتها ليقولن الله
"And if indeed thou ask them who it is that sends down rain from the sky, and gives life therewith to the earth after its death, they will certainly reply: Allah!" (al-Ankabut 29/63)

Other than these Ayaat (pl., Ayah; verses of the Qur’an) in which Allah informs regarding them (i.e., Mushrikin) that they confirm this (i.e., Allah being al-Khaliq, ar-Razzaq, al-Mudabbir etc.) for Allah Who is the One and what they intend while they believe concerning them (i.e., a Muqarrab Malak, a Nabi, a Wali, a Salih etc.) was merely (requesting) Shafa’ah and nothing else.

If some of the Mushrikin come up stating: Those who came before (us) believing in the Asnaam (idols) which were (shaped out of) stones and wood. We however believe, in the Salihin. It will be said to him: the Kuffar (of the past) were also the same; among them who believe in the Salihin such as the Malaikah and Isa bin Maryam (radiyallahu anh), among them (believe in) the Awliya such as; Uzayr (alayhi salam), Lat and Uzza among people, also among the Jinni and other than them. Allah Azza wa Jalla mentioned this in His Kitaab (Book i.e. Qur’an) and stated the following regarding those who believe in the Malaikah to provide them Shafa’ah (i.e., intercession in the presence of Allah):

ويوم يحشرهم جميعاً ثم يقول للملائكة أهؤلاء إياكم كانوا يعبدون قالوا سبحانك أنت ولينا من دونهم بل كانوا يعبدون الجن أكثرهم بهم مؤمنون
"On the Day He will gather them all together, and say to the angels: Was it you that these men used to worship? They will say: Glory to Thee! Thou art our Wali (Protector), not them. Nay, but they worshipped the Jinns: most of them believed in them." (Saba 34/40-41);

ولا يشفعون إلا لمن ارتضى
“And they offer no Shafa’ah (intercession) except for those with whom He is well pleased.” (al-Anbiya 21/28)

Allah Ta’ala stated the following regarding those who believe in Isa (alayhi salam):

يا أهل الكتاب لا تغلوا في دينكم ولا تقولوا على الله إلا الحق إنما المسيح عيسى ابن مريم رسول الله وكلمته ألقاها إلى مريم وروح منه
“O Ahl’ul Kitaab (People of the Book i.e, The Jews and the Christians)! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Isa the son of Maryam was (no more than) a Rasul (messenger) of Allah, and His Kalimah (Word), which He bestowed on Maryam, and a Ruh (Spirit) proceeding from Him.” (an-Nisa 4/171);

قل أتعبدون من دون الله ما لا يملك لكم ضراً ولا نفعاً والله هو السميع العليم
"Say: Will ye worship, besides Allah, something which hath no power either to harm or benefit you? But Allah, He it is that as-Sami (heareth) and al-Alim (knoweth all things)." (al-Ma’idah 5/76)

Isa Ibn Maryam (alayhi salam) was a virtuous Rasul and this was stated regarding him; then what would be if the case was regarding al-Qadir Who is capable of harming or benefiting? Allah Ta’ala stated the following regarding the right of Awliya:

قل ادعوا الذين زعمتم من دونه فلا يملكون كشف الضر عنكم ولا تحويلاً، أولئك الذين يدعون يبتغون إلى ربهم الوسيلة أيهم أقرب ويرجون رحمته ويخافون عذابه إن عذاب ربك كان محذوراً
"Say: Call on those -besides Him- whom ye fancy: they have neither the power to remove your troubles from you nor to change them. Those whom they call upon do seek (for themselves) means of access to their Lord, as to who are nearest: they hope for His Mercy and fear His Wrath: for the Wrath of thy Lord is something to take heed of." (al-Isra 17/56-57)

Some among the Salaf said: Some of the tribes were directing their Du'a to the Malaikah, Uzayr, Masih (Isa) so Allah (Ta’ala) stated: They are My slaves as you are My slaves. They expect My Rahmah (mercy) as you expect My Rahmah. They fear from My Azab (punishment) as you fear from My Azab. May Allah have mercy upon the one who ponders upon this Great Ayah of Allah (Ta’ala) and what had been revealed in it, and knows that they believe in only intend the closeness to Allah and Shafa’ah in the presence of Allah (Ta’ala).

All of these turn around two Kalimah. The first: You know that the Kuffar knew Allah (Subhanahu) is al-Khaliq, ar-Razzaq, Who governs all of the affairs and that He is One and also they intend to become closer via them to Allah (Ta’ala).

The second of it: You know that among them are human and they believed in human; among the Anbiya and the Salihin such as Isa (alayhi salam), Uzayr (alayhi salam) and that they are the same as those believed in Asnaam from (shaped out of) stone or tree. When Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) fought against them he did not detach those who believed in Awthan (idols) made from wood, stone form those who believed in the Anbiya and the Salihin and the people of our era who believe in stones (tombs) on top of graves and trees.

If this is clear, that surely it is not from the Din of Allah (Ta’ala) and after this the Mushrik says: “This is clear and we know this since the beginning.” Then tell him: If the Ashab of Rasulullah knew this after studying it and knew some of the Shirk being Shirk after years and if you know these without studying then you know more than them. On the contrary the Anbiya didn’t know this (i.e. some of the Shirk being Shirk) until Allah (Ta’ala) taught them. Allah (Ta’ala) stated the following to Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) who was the most knowledgeable of the people.

فاعلم أنه لاإله إلا الله واستغفر لذنبك وللمؤمنين والمؤمنات
“Know, therefore, that there is no god but Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and for the men and women who believe.” (Muhammad 47/19);

ولقد أوحى إليك وإلى الذين من قبلك لئن أشركت ليحبطن عملك ولتكوننَّ من الخاسرين، بل الله فاعبد وكن من الشاكرين
"But it has already been revealed to thee, as it was to those before thee: If thou wert to join (gods with Allah), truly fruitless will be thy work (in life), and thou wilt surely be among the Losers. Nay, but worship Allah, and be of those who give thanks." (az-Zumar 39/65-66)

If this was the state of our Nabi (i.e. Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) then why did Khalil Ibrahim (alayhi salam) make it a Wasiyyah (will) to his children whom were also among the Anbiya. Allah (Ta’ala) states:

ووصى بها إبراهيم بنيه ويعقوب يا بني إن الله اصطفى لكم الدين فلا تموتن إلا وأنتم مسلمون
"And this was the legacy that Ibrahim left to his sons, and so did Yaqub; Oh my sons! Allah hath chosen the Faith for you; then die not except in the state of Muslim (submission)." (al-Baqarah 2/132);

قال لقمان لابنه وهو يعظه يا بني لاتشرك بالله إن الشرك لظلم عظيم
"Behold, Luqman said to his son admonishing him: O my son! join not in worship (others) with Allah: for false worship is indeed the highest Dhulm (wrong-doing)." (Luqman 31/13)

If this matter is something that the Muslimin do not need to fear it, then why did (Ibrahim) Khalil (alayhi sallam) have fear for himself and for his children whom were also among the Anbiya, thus stated:

رب اجعل هذا البلد آمناً واجنبني وبني أن نعبد الأصنام
"(Remember Ibrahim said:) O my Lord! Make this city one of peace and security: and preserve me and my sons from worshipping idols.” (Ibrahim 14/35)

Then why did al-Alim and al-Hakim make it upon this matter, increased the Kalaam (speech), explained it, brought parables regarding it, warned from it, started with it and ended with it, when He revealed His Book in order to bring people from Dhulumat (out of darkness) into Nur (light)? If the people comprehends it without studying, If there was no fear one might befall into it then why did Rabb’ul A’lamin (the Lord of the worlds) render most of His Book with it? Allah Who is free from all defects; seals the hearts of those He wills among His creation and makes them deaf and blind by destroying their sight.

You; o the one to whom Allah had blessed with Islam and knows that the only Ilah is Allah. Don’t deem that you have it by saying: “This is right and I abandon everything other than it however neither do I object the Mushrikin nor do I state anything to them”. Don’t deem that this will enter you to the Islam. Rather it is unavoidable for you to have Bughd (hatred) against them, to have Bughd towards those who love them, cursing them and to have enmity against them. As your father Ibrahim (alayhi salam) and those with him said:

إنا برءاء منكم ومما تعبدون من دون الله كفرنا بكم وبدا بيننا وبينكم العداوة والبغضاء أبدا حتى تؤمنوا بالله وحده
"We are clear of you and of whatever ye worship besides Allah: We have rejected you, and there has arisen, between us and you, enmity and hatred for ever, unless ye believe in Allah and Him alone." (al-Mumtahinah 60/4);

فمن يكفر بالطاغوت ويؤمن بالله فقد استمسك بالعروة الوثقى
“Whoever rejects the Taghout and believes in Allah hath grasped Urwat’ul Wusqa (the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks).” (al-Baqarah 2/256);

ولقد بعثنا في كل أمة رسولاً أن اعبدوا الله واجتنبوا الطاغوت
"For We assuredly sent amongst every People Messengers, (with the Command): Serve Allah, and eschew the Taghout." (an-Nahl 16/36)

If an individual says:  I submit to the Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) and he is upon Haqq (truth) however I neither object Lat and Uzza nor object Aba Jahl and his likes and I am not responsible for what they do” then his Islam is not Sahih (authentic, valid). When it comes to the Mushrikin that claim people had not been ordered regarding those Tawaghit (pl., Taghout) and they do not consent with them, this can only be said by no other than an arrogant Mushrik. Surely they eat the wealth of the people unjustly. Neither they preside over them nor do they draw near to them except with this. When they see a Salih man they scorn him; when they see a Mushrik and a Kafir who submits to the Shaytan (Satan) they drew near to him, they love him and marry him with their daughters and call this honorable!.

The one, who says this, knows that this statement of his is a lie. If he is in their presence and hears, some of the Mushrikin saying: “A hardship has befallen on me, I praised the Shaykh or the Sayyid (master), I sacrificed for him and he saved me from it”, he could not dare to say against this great lie: “Neither anyone harms nor benefits except Allah”. If he says this and spreads it amongst the people then the Tawaghit would not like it. If they are able to kill him, they would kill him. In brief: This will not be said by anyone other than an arrogant Mushrik. Their Da’wah (call), frightening the people, and mentioning the incident of their Kafir fathers is Mashur (well-known). Anyone who knows their state can not reject this. As Allah (Ta’ala) states:

شاهدين على أنفسهم بالكفر
“...while they witness against their own souls to infidelity.” (at-Tawbah 9/17)

We are going to end this Kitaab by mentioning an Ayah from Kitaabullah (the Book of Allah; Qur’an) in which there is lesson for the one who considers it. Allah Ta’ala stated regarding the Kuffar:

وإذا مسكم الضر في البحر ضل من تدعون إلا إياه
“When distress seizes you at sea, those that ye call upon -besides Himself- leave you in the lurch!” (al-Isra 17/67)

Allah (Ta’ala) mentioned regarding the Kuffar that when a hardship befalls them they abandon everything (that they associate partners to Allah) other than Him (Ta’ala) and devoted Din to Him (Ta’ala). When it comes to the people of our era: When a hardship and harm befalls them they praise other than Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala in the same manner.

May Allah have mercy upon the one who ponders upon this Ayah and other than this from the Ayaat. The one whom Allah blessed with Marifah shall praise Allah (Ta’ala). If he finds anything problematic he shall ask from Ahl’ul Ilm (the People of Sacred-Knowledge) regarding what Allah (Ta’ala) and His Rasul (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said regarding it. He shall not initiate the rejection because if he rejects, he would reject against Allah (Ta’ala). Allah (Ta’ala) states:

ومن أظلم ممن ذكر بآيات ربه ثم أعرض عنها إنا من المجرمين منتقمون
“And who does more wrong than one to whom are recited the Signs of his Lord, and who then turns away there from? Verily from those who transgress We shall exact (due) Retribution.” (as-Sajdah 32/22)

Know that may Allah have mercy upon you; some of the compilers commit some types of Shirk Akbar (Major Shirk) due to Jahalah (ignorance) and not discerning. Stated in the (Qasida) Burdah (by Busayri, regarding Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wa sallam):

يا أكرم الخلق مالي من ألوذ به سواك عند حلول الحادث العمم

“Most generous of mankind, I have no one to take refuge in except you at occurrence of widespread calamity.”

(And the statement) in Hamziyyah as such and many things other than this. This is a Du'a which is a type of Ibadaah that is not Sahih (valid) except (committing) for Allah the One. If some of the Mushrikin struggle with you due to Jalaal (stateliness) of the owner of the statement, his Ilm and his Salaah (righteousness) and may say due to his Jahl: “How can this be?” Then tell him: Ashab (companions) of Musa (alayhi salam) to whom Allah choose and made superior to the worlds; more knowledgeable and stateliness than (the owner of the statement) said:

يا موسى اجعل لنا إلهاً كما لهم آلهة
O Musa fashion for us a god like unto the gods they have." (al-A’raf 7/138)

This became Khafi (obscure) for he Bani Isra’il (Israelites) despite their stateliness, Ilm and virtuous then what do you deem about other than them?

And tell this Jaahil: the Ashab of Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) whom were more righteous and more knowledgeable then them all, stated when they were passing by a tree:

يا رسول الله: اجعل لنا ذات أنواط، كما لهم ذات أنواط
“O Messenger of Alalh! Fashion for us a Dhaatu Anwaat like unto the Dhaatu Anwaat they have.” 3

Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) made an oath that this resembles what the Banu Isra’il stated to Musa (alayhi salam):

اجعل لنا إلهاً كما لهم آلهة
"Fashion for us a god like unto the gods they have." (al-A’raf 7/138)

In it there are two lessons:

The first: Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) explained clearly that whoever believed in a tree or makes Tabarruk with it; takes it as an Ilah (deity). The Ashab of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) knew that the tree does not create and does not sustain. They deemed that if the Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) commands them to perform Tabarruk with it then there will be blessing in it.

The Second Lesson: Even the most knowledgeable and the most righteous of the people may fall into Shirk without knowing. As it was said:

الشرك أخفى من دبيب النمل
"Shirk is much more hidden than the pace of an ant." 4

This is in opposition to the statement of the Jaahil: “This is clear and we know it”. If anything from this becomes problematic for you and if you need statements from the Ahl’ul Ilm which clarifies it, and that their rejection of this type of Shirk which Allah made Haraam (unlawful) then they are available. I mean statements of the Ulama (pl, Alim; scholars) concerning this matter if you wish from the Hanabilah (scholars of Hanbali Madhhab) and from others if you want. Wallahu A’lam (And Allah knows)!..

Footnotes:[/size]

1- ad-Durar’us Saniyya fi’l Ajwibati’n Najdiyya, 2/100-112.

2- Allah Ta'ala states in this group of Ayaat:

كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ سَيَقُولُونَ لِلَّهِ قُلْ أَفَلَا تَذَكَّرُونَ قُلْ مَن رَّبُّ السَّمَاوَاتِ السَّبْعِ وَرَبُّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيمِ سَيَقُولُونَ لِلَّهِ قُلْ أَفَلَا تَتَّقُونَ قُلْ مَن بِيَدِهِ مَلَكُوتُ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ وَهُوَ يُجِيرُ وَلَا يُجَارُ عَلَيْهِ إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ سَيَقُولُونَ لِلَّهِ قُلْ فَأَنَّى تُسْحَرُونَ
"Say: To whom belong the earth and all beings therein? (Say) if ye know! They will say: To Allah. Say: Yet will ye not receive admonition? Say: Who is the Lord of the seven heavens, and the Lord of the Mighty Throne? They will say: (They belong) to Allah. Say: Will ye not then fear? Say: Who is it in whose hands is the sovereignty of all things,- who protects (all), but is not protected (of any)? (Say) if ye know. They will say, "(It belongs) to Allah." Say: "Then how are ye deluded?" (al-Mu’minun 23/84-89)

3- The full length text of Hadith of the Incident of Dhaatu Anwaat is as follows:

عَنْ أَبِي وَاقِدٍ اللَّيْثِيِّ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم لَمَّا خَرَجَ إِلَى خَيْبَرَ مَرَّ بِشَجَرَةٍ لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ يُقَالُ لَهَا ذَاتُ أَنْوَاطٍ يُعَلِّقُونَ عَلَيْهَا أَسْلِحَتَهُمْ فَقَالُوا
Abu Waqid al-Laythi (radiyallahu anh) narrated that when Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) went out to Hunayn he passed a (lot) tree that the Mushrikin called Dhat Anwat upon which they hung their weapons. They (i.e., the Companions) said:

يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ اجْعَلْ لَنَا ذَاتَ أَنْوَاطٍ كَمَا لَهُمْ ذَاتُ أَنْوَاطٍ ‏.‏ فَقَالَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم
O Messenger of Allah! Make a Dhat Anwat for us as they have a Dhat Anwat. Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said:

سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ هَذَا كَمَا قَالَ قَوْمُ مُوسَى
Subhan Allah! This is like what Musa's people said:

اجْعَلْ لَنَا إِلَهًا كَمَا لَهُمْ آلِهَةٌ
"Make for us a god like their gods." (al-A’raf 7/138)

وَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ لَتَرْكَبُنَّ سُنَّةَ مَنْ كَانَ قَبْلَكُمْ
By the One in Whose is my soul! You shall follow the way of those who were before you." (Tirmidhi, Hadith no: 2180)

4- Ma’kil Ibnu Yesar (radiyallahu anh) said that we went to Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) with Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (radiyallahu anh). Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said:

حَدَّثَنَا عَبَّاسٌ النَّرْسِيُّ، قَالَ: حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الْوَاحِدِ، قَالَ: حَدَّثَنَا لَيْثٌ، قَالَ: أَخْبَرَنِي رَجُلٌ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْبَصْرَةِ، قَالَ: سَمِعْتُ مَعْقِلَ بْنَ يَسَارٍ، يَقُولُ: " انْطَلَقْتُ مَعَ أَبِي بَكْرٍ الصِّدِّيقِ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ، إِلَى النَّبِيِّ فَقَالَ: يَا أَبَا بَكْرٍ، لَلشِّرْكُ فِيكُمْ أَخْفَى مِنْ دَبِيبِ النَّمْلِ، فَقَالَ أَبُو بَكْرٍ: وَهَلِ الشِّرْكُ إِلا مَنْ جَعَلَ مَعَ اللَّهِ إِلَهًا آخَرَ؟ فَقَالَ النَّبِيُّ: وَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ، لَلشِّرْكُ أَخْفَى مِنْ دَبِيبِ النَّمْلِ، أَلا أَدُلُّكَ عَلَى شَيْءٍ إِذَا قُلْتَهُ ذَهَبَ عَنْكَ قَلِيلُهُ وَكَثِيرُهُ؟ قَالَ: قُلِ: اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ أَنْ أُشْرِكَ بِكَ وَأَنَا أَعْلَمُ، وَأَسْتَغْفِرُكَ لِمَا لا أَعْلَمُ
”Shirk in my Ummah is much more hidden than the pace of an ant crawling upon a black stone. Shirk is very hidden. It enters the heart very silently and very few are saved from it. Upon hearing this, Abu Bakr Siddiq (radiyallahu anh) asked: How can one be saved from it? Rasulullah (sallallah alayhi wa sallam) said: Should I not show you such a Du'a (supplication) that if you recite it, you will be free from minor and major Shirk. Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (radiyallahu anh) requested him to do so. Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) instructed him to say: O Allah, I seek protection in You from that I ascribe partners to You knowingly and I seek forgiveness from You for those things which I do not know.” (Ahmad, Musnad, 4/403; Bukhari, Adab'ul Mufrad, Hadith no: 716)
قولوا "لا إله إلا الله" تفلحوا

"Say, La-ilaha Illallah (there is no -true- god -to be worshiped- but Allah) and thus be successful."