دار التوحيد Dr'ul Tawhd

Author Topic: THE FOUNDATION OF ISLMIC BROTHERHOOD | IBNU RAJAB AL-HANBAL  (Read 168 times)

Izhr'ud Dn

• Global Moderator
  • فَفِرُّوا إِلَى اللَّهِ
    • Darultawhid

بِسْمِ اللّٰهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
اَلْحَمْدُ للهِ وَحْدَهُ، وَالصَّلاةُ وَالسَّلامُ عَلَى مَنْ لَا نَبِيَّ بَعْدَهُ، وَبَعْدُ

The Foundation of Islmic Brotherhood
Ibnu Rajab al-Hanbal Rahimahullh[1]

Hadth Thirteen

Anas bin Mlik (may Allh be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) fellow what he wishes for himself. Recorded by Al-Bukhry and Muslim.[2]

Commentary on the Hadth

The negation of faith as referred to in this hadth means the absence of the true spirit and epitome of faith. Faith may be negated when some of its pillars or duties are not fulfilled. This is exemplified in the following hadths. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, When an adulterer |or fornicator] commits illegal sexual intercourse, he is not a believer at the time he is committing it; and when one drinks alcohol, he is not a believer at the time he drinks it; and when a thief steals, he is not a believer at the time of stealing.[3]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said, By Allh, he does not believe! By Allh he does not believe! By Allh he does not believe! It was asked, Who is that, O Allhs Messenger? He said, That person whose neighbor does not feel safe from his evil.[4]

Wish for Your Fellow Muslims Whatever you wish for Yourself

One of the obligatory characteristics of faith is that a Muslim should wish the same things for his fellow Muslims that he wishes for himself. Likewise, he should hate for them whatever he hates for himself. If he lacks this characteristic, his faith is incomplete. Ab Hurayrah (may Allh be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, In order to be a Muslim, wish for your fellow Muslims that which you wish for yourself.[5]

Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-s narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, Whoever wishes to be delivered from the Fire and to enter the Garden should die with faith in Allh and the Last Day and should treat the people as he wishes to be treated by them.[6]

Ab Dharr (may Allh be pleased with him) said, The Prophet (peace be upon him) told me, Ab Dharr, I see that you are weak, and I love for you the same things I love for myself. Therefore, never become an amir [a leader], not even over two persons, and never manage the property of an orphan.[7]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) advised Ab Dharr not to become an amir because he sensed his weakness and desired that those who were weak avoid positions of leadership. The Prophet, however, ruled over people because Allh gave him the necessary strength. In addition, Allh ordered the Prophet (peace be upon him) to call people to obey him and to direct their religious and worldly affairs.

In the same vein, Muhammad bin Wsi went to sell a donkey that he owned. A man asked him, would you like for me to own it? He answered, If I didnt like it, I would not have decided to sell it. This is an allusion to the fact that he did not wish for his brother in Islam what he did not wish for himself. All of the above incidents are but examples of advice to Muslims, which is a part of religion.
 1. Ibn Rajab, Jami Al-Ulm Wal-Hikam, Umm Al-Qura Publications, P. 167-172.

2. Recorded by Al-Bukhry in Kitb Al-Imn (Book on Faith) no. 13; also recorded by Muslim in Kitb Al-Imn (Book on Faith), no. 45/71.

3. Recorded by Al-Bukhry in Kitb AI-Mazlim (Book on Injustices) no. 2475; also recorded by Muslim in Kitb Al-Imn (Book on Faith), no 57/100.

4. Recorded by AI-Bukhry in Kitb Al-Adab (Book on Etiquette) no. 6016.

5. Recorded by At-Tirmidhy in Kitb Az-Zuhd (Book on Asceticism) no. 13; also recorded by Ibn Mjah in Kitb Az-Zuhd (Book on Asceticism) 4217; and Ahmad, hadth no. 2/310.

6. Recorded by Muslim in Kitb Al-Imrah (Book on Emirate) chapter 1844/46.

7. Recorded by Muslim in Kitb Al-Imrah (Book on Emirate) chapter 1826/17.
Shaykhul Islm Ibnu Taymiyyah Rahimahullh said,

والعالم يعرف الجاهل؛ لأنه كان جاهلا، والجاهل لا يعرف العالم لأنه لم يكن عالما

The lim (scholar) recognizes the Jhil (ignorant) since he was once a Jhil. The Jhil does not recognize the lim since he has never been an lim. (Shaykhul Islm Ibnu Taymiyyah, Majmul Fatw, 13/235)

Izhr'ud Dn

• Global Moderator
    • Darultawhid
Re: THE FOUNDATION OF ISLMIC BROTHERHOOD | IBNU RAJAB AL-HANBAL
« Reply #1 on: 28.01.2021, 02:59:13 AM »

Utmost Goodwill

This hadth indicates that a believer is pleased with what pleases his fellow believers and that he desires for them the good that he desires for himself. This is a result of being completely free from holding grudges, cheating, and envy. The envious person likes to be superior to others and hates that others are superior or equal to himself. This feeling contradicts faith, which stipulates that one should wish others to enjoy the same blessings that he enjoys without losing any of them. In the Qurn, Allh has praised those who are not haughty towards others and hate corruption. Allh says,

تِلْكَ الدَّارُ الْآخِرَةُ نَجْعَلُهَا لِلَّذِينَ لَا يُرِيدُونَ عُلُوًّا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَا فَسَادًا
which means (That home of the Hereafter (i.e. Paradise), We shall assign to those who rebel not against the truth with pride and oppression in the land nor do mischief by committing crimes.) (Al-Qasas; 28:83)

Envy is Permissible in Two Cases

A believer becomes a true believer only when he likes for others what he likes for himself. It is good for a believer to wish for that with which another person has been given if it is beneficial for ones religion. The Prophet (peace be upon him) himself aspired to the position of martyrdom.

The lim (scholar) recognizes the Jhil (ignorant) since he was once a Jhil. The Jhil does not recognize the lim since he has never been an lim. (Shaykhul Islm Ibnu Taymiyyah, Majmul Fatw, 13/235)

Izhr'ud Dn

• Global Moderator
    • Darultawhid
« Reply #2 on: 01.02.2021, 03:59:40 AM »

He (peace be upon him) said, Do not wish for the likes of anyone except two: a man upon whom Allh bestowed knowledge of the Book [the Qurn], who stands up [in salah (prayer)] and recites it during the hours of the night, and a man upon whom Allh bestowed wealth, and he spends it in charity during the hours of the night and the hours of the day.[1]

The Prophet also said, concerning the person who sees another spending his money according to the prescriptions of Allh and says, If I had money, I would have spent it in the same way he spends it, that he would be given an equal reward.[2] However, one should not aspire to worldly pleasures. This is shown in the following Qurnic verse, in which Allh says,

فَخَرَجَ عَلَى قَوْمِهِ فِي زِينَتِهِ قَالَ الَّذِينَ يُرِيدُونَ الْحَيَاةَ الدُّنْيَا يَالَيْتَ لَنَا مِثْلَ مَا أُوتِيَ قَارُونُ إِنَّهُ لَذُو حَظٍّ عَظِيمٍ. وَقَالَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْعِلْمَ وَيْلَكُمْ ثَوَابُ اللَّهِ خَيْرٌ لِمَنْ آمَنَ وَعَمِلَ صَالِحًا وَلَا يُلَقَّاهَا إِلَّا الصَّابِرُونَ
which means, (So he [Korah] went forth before his people in his pomp. Those who were desirous of the life of the world said, Ah, would that we had the like of what Qrn [Korah] has been given! Verity, he is the owner of a great fortune. But those who had (religious) knowledge said, Woe to you! The reward of Allh (in the Hereafter) is better for those who believe and do righteous good deeds.) (Al-Qasas; 28:79-80)

As for the verse in which Allh says,

وَلَا تَتَمَنَّوْا مَا فَضَّلَ اللَّهُ بِهِ بَعْضَكُمْ عَلَى بَعْضٍ
which means, (And wish not for the things in which Allh has made some of you to excel others.) (An-Nis; 4:32),

Wishing has been interpreted here as envy, in the sense longing ardently and wrongfully for something that belongs to another. It has also been interpreted as aspiring to illegal things or things that are decreed by Allh impossible for that person to obtain. By an example would be the desire of women to become men or to have the same religious and/or worldly advantages such as jihd, inheritance of a heritage portion equal to men, having the same degree of manly rationalism, and being equal to men as witnesses, etc.

Nevertheless, a believer should regret missing religious virtues. Hence, he has been ordered to consider those who are more religious than him as an example and compete with them as much as he can. This is revealed by the following verse,

وَفِي ذَلِكَ فَلْيَتَنَافَسِ الْمُتَنَافِسُونَ
which means (and for this, let (all) those strive who want to strive (i.e., hasten earnestly to the obedience of Allh).) (Al-Mutaffifn, 83:26)

A believer should not dislike for others to have the same religious virtues. Rather, he should like all people to compete in attaining such virtues and encourage them to do so. This is part of giving sincere advice to his fellows.
 1. Recorded by Al-Bukhry in Kitb Fadil Al-Qurn (Book on the Virtues of the Qurn) no. 5025; also recorded by Muslim in Kitb Salt Al-Musfirn (Book on the Prayer of the Travelers) 815/266.

2. Recorded by At-Tirmidhy in Kitb Az-Zuhd (Book on Asceticism) no. 2325; also narrated by Ab Kabshah Al-Anmry and classified as good authentic (sahh hasan).

Izhr'ud Dn

• Global Moderator
    • Darultawhid
« Reply #3 on: 08.03.2021, 03:03:14 AM »

If another excels him in a religious virtue, he should exert his utmost effort to catch up with him. He should feel sorry because he is not doing his best and because he cannot reach him. This is not by way of envy, but by way of competition and aspiring to be at the same level as his in addition to feeling sorry for his failure to do what ought to be done, and for being inferior to those who are foremost in faith and performing religious deeds.

A believer should always think of himself as falling short in his seeking the highest degrees. This should lead him to do two precious things: first, exerting his maximum effort to attain and build upon his own virtues; and second, to realize his imperfections.

It is permissible for one who is blessed with some favor to tell others about it, so long as he does so for a religious interest, and realizes that he is deficient in his thanks to Allh for this favor. This is supported by bin Masds saying, I do not know of anybody who is more versed in the Book of Allh [the Qurn] than myself. This is not to imply that one dislikes others to be granted such blessings, as is indicated by the following saying of bin Abbs, When I come upon a verse in the Book of Allh I really wish for all people to know what I know about it. Further, Ash-Shfiy said, I wish for all people to know this knowledge, and to attribute nothing to me. By the same token, Utbat'ul Ghulm used to tell his brothers, Give me water or dates to break my fast so as to have a [divine] reward equal to mine.